Liquefied Petroleum Gas – describes flammable hydrocarbon gases including propane, butane and mixtures of these gases. Many people see thee letters LPG without understanding its meaning. It is a modern superior alternative to firewood, charcoal and paraffin and is safe, clean, fast and portable.

If used and handled in accordance with prescribed procedures LPG is safe .As with electricity, petroleum and other chemicals, care should always be taken when using LPG.

Gas bottles must be used and stored upright for safety reasons .All gas bottles are fitted with pressure relief valves which are designed to safely release gas in the event that the gas bottle becomes hot and pressure becomes too great. The pressure relief valve are incorporated into the main valve which is at the top of the bottlethe LPG exists as liquid at the bottom and gas vapour at the top .Keeping the bottle upright ensures that the safety valvle is not immersed in the liquid and is located in the vapour space as it is not designed to vent liquid.

If your gas cylinder is damaged or leaking do not try to repair it to the outlet where you bought it. Leaks are characterized by the presence of strong irritating smell. You can also check for leaks by using a clothsoaked in soapy water. The appearance of bubbles means the cylinder is leaking. It is dangerous to attempt repairing a damaged or leaking cylinder as this as this can cause harm or injury.

LP Gas Facts


The Power of LP Gas

LPG is a derivative of two major energy processes: gas liquids extraction and crude oil refining. A significant number of gas wells produce propane and butane, accounting for approximately 60% of global LPG volumes. The remaining 40% is extracted from oil refining. The recent boom in shale gas extraction has transformed LPG from a by-product to a globally sought after commodity



Clean

  • • Gas is nature’s cleanest fossil fuel much cleaner than competitors like coal and oil.
  • • Gas has a much lower carbon footprint than coal and oil.
  • • Fossil fuels makes up at least 80% of the global energy mix today and in the foreseeable future

Efficient

  • • LPG is an economical fuel source. It burns efficiently because it contains a higher calorie value per unit than other commonly used fuels.
  • • LPG has an indefinite shelf life; it does not expire.

Versatile

  • • LPG is a versatile fuel source and has many useful applications.

Portable

  • • LPG can be stored and easily transported in cylinders. This makes it readily available to consumers around the world.
  • • The size and type of LPG containers can be adapted to local markets, modes of transport and geography.

The Uses of LP Gas

LPG is a multi-purpose energy source with more than 1,000 applications. It is used in business, industry, transportation, farming, power generation, cooking, heating and for recreational purposes.



Retail

  • • Cooking and heating are the best known household uses of LPG, but it is also commonly used to produce power for example, pest control, air-conditioning, garden care and lighting
  • • LPG is ideal where limited infrastructure is available to consumers

Transportation

  • • Automotive LPG (Autogas) is LPG used as fuel for transport.
  • • Autogas can power cars, buses, ATVs, trucks, golf carts, three-wheelers, fork lift trucks and street cleaning vehicles
  • • LPG is also used on the water to power both small recreational crafts and large ships
  • • Autogas can also fuel airborne vehicles, including hot air balloons and small aircrafts

Power

  • • LPG can be used for both large and small power generators in large gas turbines and in smaller localised power generation.
  • • LPG allows for highly efficient decentralised power generation through small self-containing generators
  • • LPG is a natural partner to renewable energy. It is well suited for hybrid appliances that include heat pumps, solar energy systems and photo-voltaic power generators.

Petrochemicals

  • • LPG is used as a feedstock in the petrochemical industry.
  • • In chemical production, LPG is turned into petrochemical gases such as ethylene, propylene, butylene, and butadiene to produce synthetic plastics, rubbers and fibres.
  • • LPG is also used in the production of pharmaceuticals, medicine, paints, detergents, explosives and dyestuffs
  • • In the chemical industry, LPG is used as a fuel for process heating (through steam), roasting and drying of chemicals.